Friday 30 June 2017

Snorkelling at the Low Isles

Upon reaching the Low Isles we were given flippers and snorkels to try for size and transferred to a shallow dinghy which could reach the Low Isles without grounding. It had a glass bottom for those who wanted to view the coral without snorkelling.


In the water, finally.


The currents had churned up the shallow water so visibility was poor.


We spotted turtles during our time there.

If anything the view was worse than at Fiji back in late 2013.


I'm a poor swimmer (if you can call me that) at the best of times and tired quickly in the current so I went back to shore before the others. I think this will be my last attempt at snorkelling and in future I will appreciate the beauty of coral reefs in documentaries. Ah well, now I've now been to the shallows of the Great Barrier Reef.


Even out of the water it was not comfortable in the chilling wind. There is no shelter on the isle. The tallest structure is the automated lighthouse.


The Low Isles were named by Captain Cook. The other isle is Woody Island. Weather readings for PD are actually from the meteorological station here.

There are no further pictures from this day. The journey back in the catamaran was in gloomy and rainy weather and my stomach felt queasy at times, but I made it. I rested well that night as there was an early start for the Daintree NP tour the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment