Sunday 2 July 2017

Sunday markets

The photo of my seafood pizza is from Sat night. It was quite tasty because the seafood was local. They should have used a lighter base as seafood contains some salt already. I've posted it here to avoid a short post and also because of the next photo.


St. Mary's by the sea which is a heritage listed building.


The same church the next morning at the markets.


The market was mostly for arts and crafts, with some fresh produce and food stalls.


Rambutans. I bought a few later for nostalgia.


A stall selling Dutch snacks. The poffertjes were very popular.


Local pineapples. They were tempting but I had no way of cutting up one, and they are a lot of work.


A kid powered sugar cane press. I wonder if they got to drink the juice of their labour.


The old sugar wharf building. Apparently it's used for wedding receptions nowadays.


My pickup wasn't until 1515 so I had time for lunch. Before that I sauntered over via Macrossan Street to 4 Mile Beach.


It's not the ideal beach though, there is a tiny chance of encountering a croc but more likely a stinger in season.


After this I crossed back to the western side of PD and went to the marina where I had started the reef tour.


There is a small station for the narrow gauge train, similar to the cane trains, which now transports tourists for joy rides.


There is a microbrewery at the marina but lunch first.


After lunch, I took the offer of a tasting paddle of their beers. Some of them I would drink again.


I then waddled back to the hostel to await my pickup. On the way I encountered the returning train.

And that was the end of my time in Port Douglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment